Posts Tagged ‘ Barroco ’

Salvator Rosa: Bandits, Wilderness and Magic

Dulwich Picture Gallery, London – 15 september 2010 – 28 november 2010

The Shade of Samuel Appears to Saul, 1668
Oil on canvas, 275 x 191 cm – Musée du Louvre, Paris

Italian Baroque painter and etcher of the Neapolitan school remembered for his wildly romantic or “sublime” landscapes, marine paintings, and battle pictures. He was also an accomplished poet, satirist, actor, and musician.

Salvator Rosa (1615 – 1673) studied painting in Naples, coming under the influence of the Spanish painter and engraver José de Ribera (1591 – 1652). Rosa went to Rome in 1635 to study, but he soon contracted malaria. He returned to Naples, where he painted numerous battle and marine pictures and developed his peculiar style of landscape – picturesquely wild scenes of nature with shepherds, seamen, soldiers, or bandits – the whole infused with a romantic poetic quality.

His reputation as a painter preceded his return to Rome in 1639. Already famous as an artist, he also became a popular comic actor. During the Carnival of 1639 he rashly satirized the famous architect and sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini, thereby making a powerful enemy. For some years thereafter the environment of Florence was more comfortable for him than that of Rome. In Florence he enjoyed the patronage of Cardinal Giovanni Carlo de’ Medici. Rosa’s own house became the centre of a literary, musical, and artistic circle called the Accademia dei Percossi; here also Rosa’s flamboyant personality found expression in acting. In 1649 he returned and finally settled in Rome. Rosa, who had regarded his landscapes more as recreation than as serious art, now turned largely to religious and historical painting. In 1660 he began etching and completed a number of successful prints. His satires were posthumously published in 1710. Via.

Anúncios

Musica Aeterna – Os 500 Anos da Fundação do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus

Esta página foi elaborada a partir do texto gentilmente cedido por João Chambers, que produziu o MUSICA AETERNA de 10 de Abril de 2010, dedicado a assinalar o celebrizado, no passado ano de 2009, quinto centenário da fundação do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus, cuja exposição comemorativa, com o título “Casa Perfeitíssima”, terminou hoje, no Museu Nacional do Azulejo, em Lisboa.

No dia 23 de Junho do remoto ano de 1509, e após um pequeno grupo de freiras, recém-chegado do Convento de Jesus de Setúbal, se haver instalado na sua nova residência, o conjunto de Nossa Senhora da Madre de Deus era abençoado pelo arcebispo de Lisboa, D. Martinho da Costa. As irmãs, todas elas Franciscanas Descalças da primeira Regra de Santa Clara, deviam a D. Leonor, soberana de Portugal, devota senhora, profundamente católica, que se entregava às emoções de uma espiritualidade cristológica, a compra de umas habitações, dotadas de horta e olival, à viúva do fidalgo Álvaro da Cunha, bem como a construção de um núcleo modesto para as poder albergar, tendo a respectiva igreja, um espaço fundamental para a comunidade, apenas mais tarde sido completada. Referida na “Crónica Seráfica” de Frei Jerónimo de Belém e num texto do padre Mestre Jorge de São Paulo como “Rainha Perfeitíssima”, fez-se rodear por uma elite intelectual onde pontificava Cataldo Sículo, poeta siciliano e um dos responsáveis pela introdução dos ideais humanistas em Portugal, deixando o seu nome também associado aos teatro de Gil Vicente e início da imprensa. O patrocínio régio a instituições semelhantes era, na época, habitual, embora, neste caso específico, a grandeza da atitude da mecenas se tenha sobreposto a uma mera questão de sensibilidade religiosa. A monarca, filha primogénita dos Duques de Beja, havia casado, ainda jovem, com um primo, o infante e futuro D. João II, e, num período de grande conflitualidade política, viu morrer às mãos do marido o próprio irmão e assistiu ao desenlace sangrento de uma conspiração contra o rei. Em 1491, uma queda de cavalo iria vitimar o príncipe D. Afonso, herdeiro jurado da coroa, e aquele, sem sucessor, tentou legitimar, contudo sem qualquer êxito, a bastardia do filho Jorge de Lencastre. Quatro anos mais tarde, após a sua morte, D. Manuel, irmão de D. Leonor, foi aclamado soberano, iniciando-se então uma época de esplendor inigualável marcada por um afluxo constante de produtos exóticos provenientes do Oriente, pela abertura de novas rotas à navegação, pela sistematização de outros saberes e por uma forma diferente de compreender o mundo.

Johann David Heinichen (1683-1729)
Concerto in fa maggiore: Vivace – Adagio – un poco allegro – Allegro
Musica Antiqua Köln on authentic instruments | dir. Reinhard Goebel

As orientações mecenáticas de D. Leonor espelham, na perfeição, inclusive nos dias de hoje, as perplexidades da sua época. Ainda presa ao universo das solidariedades medievais, constituiu a confraria de Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia, instituição pia que objectava o aumento da mendicidade urbana com a proverbial caritas cristã, fundou o primeiro grande hospital português nas Caldas de Óbidos, hoje “da Rainha”, e patrocinou ali a construção de uma nova igreja, integrada nas correntes mais estimulantes da arquitectura tardo-gótica, no mesmo gosto tradicionalista de apoio a pintores de dimensão regional e a fórmulas anacrónicas. Aberta às novidades da época, a monarca nunca deixou de mostrar, também, uma grande capacidade de aceitação de propostas mais evoluídas. Assim, apoiou oficinas de autores onde se notava já a influência de modelos plásticos proto-renascentistas, tais como as de Jorge Afonso, Cristóvão de Figueiredo ou do Mestre da Lourinhã, e adquiriu, na Europa setentrional e central, admiráveis pinturas sobre tábua onde, numa delas, se inclui ela própria em atitude de esclarecida encomendadora. Também o relicário em ouro e pedras preciosas deixado ao Convento da Madre de Deus, executado, talvez, na década de 1510, tornar-se-ia numa das mais extraordinárias peças da ourivesaria portuguesa. Concebido como uma estrutura arquitectónica em miniatura, no puro estilo da Renascença, reproduz, simbolicamente, a “Jesusalém Celeste” tal como era descrita numa obra impressa nessa mesma fase a mando de D. Leonor.

Jean Lhéritier (c. 1480-after 1552) – Nigra sum (Adapted from Song of Songs 1:2-5)


O local onde ia crescendo o conjunto monástico da Madre de Deus constituía um dos lugares mais aprazíveis do termo oriental de Lisboa. Banhado pelo Tejo e povoado pelas hortas e pomares abastecedores da cidade, onde anteriormente existira um paço real que, ao tempo de D. Afonso V, se encontrava já em ruínas, era considerado como um dos destinos preferenciais de veraneio da corte e da nobreza. Com efeito, ainda no século XV uma antepassada de Afonso de Albuquerque havia-o escolhido para também aí fundar um templo de obediência franciscana.

Gregorian Chants: The Franciscan Monks of Assisi


Desde a sua localização, evocação e devoção, a história do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus, plena de objectos de culto, andou sempre associada a milagres e lendas, facto que, decerto, terá contribuído para a enorme afluência de fiéis ao local. Além disso, D. Leonor viria ali a professar, contudo sem obrigação de votos, circunstância que lhe permitiu não cumprir a clausura e levar uma vida comunitária até à morte, em 1525. Da primeira construção pouco ou nada subsistiu, embora o magnífico espólio que lhe legou se mantenha como um perfeito testemunho dos seus empenho, fervor e importante papel desempenhado como mecenas e protectora das artes e do pensamento. Na literatura impulsionou e subsidiou a publicação de alguns textos importantes, tais como a Vita Christi, “O Boosco Deleytoso”, “O Espelho de Cristina” e as criações de Gil Vicente, tendo inclusivamente o “Auto da Sibila Cassandra”, segundo reza a História, sido ali estreado, talvez em 1517, conforme a subsequente passagem alusiva:

“A obra seguinte foi representada a D. Leonor no mosteiro d’Enxobregas nas matinas do Natal. Trata-se nela da presunção da “Sibila Cassandra”, que, como por espírito profético, soubesse o mistério da encarnação, pressupôs ser ela a virgem de quem o senhor havia de nascer. E com esta opinião nunca quis casar.”.

Jacob Clemens non Papa


Para a decoração das construções por si fundadas e dos paços que habitou, D. Leonor iria encomendar, no país e no estrangeiro, obras reflectoras de um conhecimento profundo das realizações artísticas do seu tempo. Tornando-se, porém, padroeira no Convento da Madre de Deus, conferiu-lhe uma protecção real jamais perdida até 1834, ano da extinção das Ordens Religiosas, a qual, inclusive, se haveria de manter durante o domínio castelhano tal como demonstra a doação, pela Imperatriz Maria, irmã de Filipe II, de um fragmento do Santo Lenho. Apesar dos preceitos rigorosos de humildade, penitência e, sobretudo, de pobreza total que regem a irmandade, observados, de forma exemplar e segundo relatos de várias épocas, pelas religiosas de Xabregas, seria enriquecido não apenas com relíquias, obras de arte, graças e privilégios como, também, por ampliações e reformas. O templo e, neste caso, as congregações mendicantes não valorizavam as peças artísticas pelo seu sentido material mas sim como expressão do belo, isto é, a exaltação de Deus, pelo que as suas riquezas nunca haveriam de contrariar a mais importante regra franciscana – a de pobreza.

Nos dias de hoje pouco se sabe do núcleo primitivo do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus, conquanto numa representação pictórica, presumivelmente fidedigna, uma das tábuas do retábulo, alusiva à chegada das relíquias de Santa Auta, forneça elementos preciosos para a caracterização da frontaria coeva. Embora o episódio tenha ocorrido em 1517, na sua descrição dever-se-á descontar algumas imprecisões na concepção das arquitecturas visíveis ao nível das proporções relativas dos vários corpos e do exagero conferido aos pormenores decorativos. O edifício compunha-se de quatro conjuntos justapostos e escalonados – o anexo conventual, a igreja, o coro e a capela-mor – salientando-se, ainda, na fachada o elemento volumétrico mais destacado do complexo, ou seja, um artificioso portal de arcos ultrapassados flanqueado por dois botaréus torsos e um medalhão assente numa mísula. Estas peças cerâmicas, provenientes da oficina florentina da família Della Robbia, eram, na época, objecto de um florescente comércio e divulgavam, através de todo o continente europeu, uma versão mais acessível da escultura renascentista ultramontana.

Rainha Dona Leonor

Francesco da Milano


Em claro contraste com uma arquitectura prenunciadora do estilo manuelino, o significativo núcleo existente no Convento da Madre de Deus, composto por seis tondos e um frontal de sacrário dispersos pela fachada e pelas galerias do claustro, reflectia o gosto compósito de uma monarquia já atenta a géneros de produção artística de evidente modernidade. No edifício original, o remate da platibanda com elementos em flor-de-lis mais tarde desaparecidos acabariam por ser retomados através de uma reintegração oitocentista interessada, sobretudo, na recuperação dos seus valores “exóticos”. Na distribuição actual dos espaços será, pois, difícil entrever ali quaisquer reminiscências das construções contemporâneas de D. Leonor:

– para além da orientação da implantação primitiva, não é possível reconhecer, com total certeza, vestígios materiais anteriores às reformas da segunda metade do século XVI;
– descontando alterações pontuais, e recorrente em algumas representações da fachada sul, a torre sineira poderá ser datada do mesmo período;
– o moderno sub-coro, nos dias de hoje tornado no acesso do claustro grande à igreja, e uma sala adjacente, denominada “D. Manuel”, serão, porventura, outras das mais antigas estruturas remanescentes.

Além disso, no claustro pequeno, também conhecido por “claustrim”, e na “Sala Árabe”, ou de D. Leonor, revivem-se ainda os tempos da fundação, pois, embora o segundo piso seja um acrescento oitocentista, pode respirar-se, sublinhada pela singeleza dos alçados, uma singular atmosfera de profundo recolhimento.

Guillaume Dufay


O conjunto arquitectónico da Madre de Deus deixado por D. Leonor à data da morte era, verdadeiramente, exíguo. Disso mesmo se queixavam as próprias freiras que evocavam, reconhecidas, não a origem prima da residência mas antes a grande campanha de remodelação empreendida por D. João III, a qual, em vários aspectos, definia a respectiva refundação. Na verdade, o pretexto imediato da intervenção régia havia sido o de salvaguardar o edifício do assalto das marés, as quais incomodavam os fiéis e abalavam as suas estruturas. A regularização da margem do Tejo naquela zona e a construção de elementos de protecção encontram-se datadas de 1525, conquanto o desejo de se construir um cais constasse de um decreto de D. Sebastião de cerca de quatro décadas mais tarde. À funcionalidade evidente de embarcadouros que marcavam, de forma indelével, a paisagem da Lisboa oriental, acrescia ainda uma utilização de apoio às recriações fluviais da família real e da aristocracia, certamente mais comuns após a implantação do cenóbio e seus acrescentos. Acautelada a segurança do edifício, D. João III podia, enfim, ampliá-lo, identificando-se o esforço de renovação arquitectónica com o sentido da política cultural de ruptura com o passado e de uma aproximação aos modelos do humanismo e do classicismo. Estes, assimilavam directamente na Península Itálica através de numerosos artistas que, à custa da fazenda real, ali procuraram vestígios da Antiguidade e o contacto com um ambiente intelectual fervilhante. A exacta dimensão da aspiração real é, desde logo, sugerida pela escolha de Diogo de Torralva, um arquitecto ligado aos grandes estaleiros do Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, onde, em 1551, se mantinha como “mestre das obras”, e ainda com a actividade conhecida no âmbito da engenharia militar e na participação dos trabalhos da fortificação de Mazagão, actual El Jadida, no sudoeste de Marrocos. Iniciada seis anos mais tarde, a realização maior viria, no entanto, a ser a do claustro joanino do Convento de Cristo em Tomar, obra-prima que traía o bom conhecimento da arquitectura transalpina e dos modelos propostos pela tratadística de Sebastiano Serlio e de Andrea Palladio, encontrando-se a ligação documentada desde essa altura até ao final da década.

As obras levadas a cabo na Madre de Deus, que permitiram o aumento substancial da comunidade monástica, centraram-se na regularização e ampliação do templo e na construção de um novo claustro, facto representador, para além de uma tentativa de imposição de uma articulação mais funcional a um conjunto descontínuo e heterogéneo, de um esforço na tentativa de inspirar uma monumentalidade a um espaço de tão alta protecção. O claustro, de grande limpidez estrutural, é dotado de cinco tramos em cada alçado ritmados por possante contrafortagem: se, no piso térreo, os vãos são resolvidos por arcos de volta inteira, no superior, num sistema pouco comum na arquitectura renascentista portuguesa, corre uma galeria arquitravada assente em finos colunelos. A direcção do já mencionado Torralva não iria ser exercida de forma continuada e atenta, compreendendo-se, assim, a persistência de pormenores tardo-góticos no desenho de alguns dos colunelos de ambos os pisos e as diferenças de composição, bastante mais pobres, que apresenta em relação a outras obras de sua autoria.

Francisco Antonio de Almeida


A estrutura da Igreja da Madre de Deus foi, talvez, construída ao tempo de D. João III, tendo-se rasgado uma entrada lateral tal como convinha a uma casa religiosa feminina constituída, apenas, por um portal de desenho moderno ladeado por duas colunas e uma tabela de remate sobrepujada por frontão triangular. Além disso, descontando as pequenas intervenções de manutenção que um edifício desta dimensão requeria, atravessou, quase incólume, a totalidade do século XVII. As fabulosas riquezas provenientes do Brasil e o espírito do magnífico reinado de D. João V chegaram ali ao mesmo tempo que a muitos outros templos de Lisboa, pejando-o de talha dourada, azulejos, mármores polícromos e móveis sacros em raríssimas madeiras provenientes das mais recentes conquistas. Em 1746 reformulou-se a sacristia, trabalho devido ao mestre carpinteiro António da Silva e ao entalhador Félix Adauto da Cunha, que compreendeu a execução dos arcazes, das portas e das molduras das telas do pintor André Gonçalves. Além da abertura de uma cúpula sobre o cruzeiro e do enriquecimento interior verificados ao longo de todo o século XVIII, a capela-mor recebeu, após o terramoto de 1755, um retábulo de expressão já em estilo rococó animado por um trono de grandes dimensões. Na igreja, muito depurada na sua concepção estrutural, o fausto decorativo alcançava, não apenas através das formas de arte presentes como pelos materiais empregados na conjugação e na harmonia, uma exuberância de grande efeito visual. Esta solução de unidade do azulejo e da talha utilizada no mesmo repertório ornamental, assim como da representação pictórica que, além do suporte, possui como fonte a gravura, permitiu dinamizar o interior de muitos edifícios, principalmente religiosos, cumprindo assim um dos seus principais objectivos, isto é, o de persuadir o observador. A decoração dos espaços ultrapassava a função puramente estética e a qualidade artística das obras subordinava-se, em geral, a um programa orientado de divulgação de uma fé revivificada. A arte era, pois, um meio devocional que devia ensinar e comover os fiéis e transmitir a ostentação real e a teatralização dramática do dogma, ou seja, as expressões típicas da sociedade de então.

Igreja da Madre de Deus

De acordo com a doutrina de grande devoção à Virgem, segundo a evocação do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus e da ordem religiosa nele presente, as narrativas dos Evangelhos, o exemplo moralizador da vida e do martírio dos santos e a ausência ou alteração de algumas obras não impediram o entendimento do seu programa iconográfico. Concebida para ser o palácio de Deus, a igreja possui três núcleos – a nave, o cruzeiro e a capela-mor – que definem a representação do programa litúrgico expressado através da arte e correspondem ao espaço reservado a cada um dos níveis da assembleia, estabelecendo, assim, uma hierarquia onde a nave está reservada aos fiéis e a capela-mor, num plano mais elevado, ao clero. Um complexo programa de devoção e exaltação a Maria, genetriz de Jesus, que, a partir do Concílio de Éfeso de 431, foi proclamada Mãe de Deus, é desenvolvido neste templo da sua evocação. Aliás, na história cristã concedeu-se sempre um lugar muito especial à Virgem, a quem são dedicados muitíssimos outros, facto que levou a Contra-Reforma a reforçá-la como imagem da vitória sobre as heresias. Às ordens monásticas coube, então, a incumbência de exaltar esta nova religiosidade, tendo os franciscanos, pelo seu ideal apostólico, desempenado um papel fundamental na difusão do respectivo culto. Do revestimento azulejar colocado na nave que divide a igreja do coro-baixo salienta-se o painel “Moisés e a Sarça Ardente” da autoria do pintor holandês Willem van der Kloet, cujo tema, numa mensagem de concordância do Antigo com o Novo Testamento, profetiza a Virgem a conceber e a parir sem pecado. Os restantes painéis, representando eremitas e cenas comuns à ordem, lembram a intenção deste espaço, isto é, a meditação, a clausura e o silêncio. Nos rodapés, a figuração dos quatro elementos da Natureza e dos cinco sentidos remete para o Homem que, ao longo das suas idades, simbolizadas pelos elementos naturais, pode, através daqueles últimos, elevar-se até ao Altíssimo se seguir sempre o exemplo de Cristo.

São Francisco entregando os Estatutos da Ordem a Santa Clara

Pintura e talha preenchem, num nível superior, as paredes laterais da nave da Igreja da Madre de Deus, delimitando a estrutura através de planos intrinsecamente relacionados com a importância artística em que, na época, se dividiam as Artes. Em dois registos, e num extenso programa didáctico que se lê no seu todo pelo respectivo encadeamento, são narrados episódios das vidas de São Francisco e de Santa Clara. Servindo de guias, ambos os fundadores desta ordem lembram aos fiéis o modelo divino, cujas telas são exemplo perfeito do culto militante deste período e onde persistem temas já antes usados ao serviço da fé embora desenvolvidos por uma nova dinâmica dos ciclos narrativos. Em contacto directo com os crentes, e tal como os religiosos que, à semelhança dos Apóstolos, levavam os Evangelhos às populações, o ciclo de Francisco encontra-se colocado no primeiro registo, enquanto, no nível superior, o de Clara, em ligação directa com o coro, onde as freiras ouviam missa e meditavam, remete para a clausura feminina. A ampliação do programa iconográfico às coberturas, praticamente circunscrito à Vida da Virgem e à Paixão de Cristo, atingiu o apogeu na primeira metade do século XVIII. Em homenagem à mais venerada intercessora dos santos e dos homens, o tecto e o arco triunfal do templo exaltam Maria, Rainha dos Anjos, sendo este último reservado aos temas celestiais – Assunção, Glorificação e Coroação – e possuindo um forte sentido ideológico com a representação desta última encimada pelas armas reais portuguesas. Ali, a hierarquização e a mensagem ultrapassam o sentido religioso numa demonstração de emanação directa e divina do poder régio.

Heinrich Isaac

A conjugação do azulejo com a talha dourada existente na Igreja da Madre de Deus, um típico material reflector de luz, proporciona o efeito ilusório de aumento do espaço. Para além da função de emolduramento da pintura pontuam importantes elementos arquitectónicos como cimalhas, intradorso dos arcos e fustes das pilastras, evidenciando expressividade e autonomia e atingindo, nas cantoneiras, um valor próprio da escultura que acentua a simbólica das armas reais colocadas no fecho do arco triunfal. Os altares laterais, um com as relíquias de Santa Auta, oferta de Maximiliano I, Imperador do Sacro Império Romano-Germânico e primo de D. Leonor, e outro com a Sagrada Família, apesar de não possuírem o esplendor de exemplares semelhantes, assumem uma função ilusória, ou seja, de pálios de onde pendem cortinas de ouro trabalhadas num segundo plano. A capela-mor, área mais sagrada do templo e, por isso mesmo, apenas reservada às altas hierarquias da comunidade, reflecte, pela existência da tribuna, a distinção que a família real, segundo a tradição assídua a aqui ouvir missa, sempre concedeu ao local. O altar-mor, reconstruído após o terramoto de 1755, corresponde a um outro género de gosto pela estilização e pelo requinte, quase gráficos, da sua composição e exprime uma tímida aproximação à estética de finais de setecentos. O coroamento do respectivo frontão, com as esculturas da Fé e da Esperança, acentua, através da ausência de uma imagem da Caridade, isto é, a maior das três Virtudes Teologais, a sua presença espiritual como elemento fundamental da igreja. A imagem do altar é de Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres, escultura de porte, policromada, cuja presença é magnificamente evidenciada pelo refulgir dourado da talha que a enquadra. Esta evocação da Virgem representa a alegria da Mãe ao ver o Filho de Deus ressuscitado, circunstância que explica a escolha para oráculo numa mensagem de esperança aos fiéis.

Georg Philipp Telemann

Situada já na zona de clausura, parte da primitiva construção do Convento da Madre de Deus é o actual coro-baixo, o qual, após as já mencionadas obras ao tempo de D. João III em meados do século XVI, passou a sala do capítulo, onde se efectuavam as reuniões solenes, e foi utilizado como capela mortuária. Sempre contíguo ao templo, o claustro mantém-se como um lugar elementar da vida monástica, através do qual se ligam, em simultâneo, todos os espaços e dependências e se pratica a contemplação e a meditação necessárias à comunidade. Ali, a fonte é a imagem da água que brotava no Paraíso junto da Árvore da Vida e corria nas quatro direcções cardeais simbolizadas por alamedas de vegetação. O movimento perpétuo daquele elemento representa, na linguagem sagrada dos cenóbios, a certeza da vida eterna garantida pela purificação do baptismo. No centro, a fonte, de feição tardo-medieval, tem a particularidade de possuir seis pequenos atlantes suportando a bacia, cujas filactérias, com caracteres góticos, contêm as seguintes inscrições:

– “Ajuda-me!”;
– “O melhor que posso.”;
– “E tu que não ajudas?”;
– “Não posso mais!”;
– “Muito pesado.”;
– “Deus nos ajude.”.

No extremo da galeria poente, junto ao coro-baixo, em campa rasa segundo o espírito da Devotio Moderna, um movimento de renovação da vida espiritual, originário dos Países Baixos, que advogava uma relação mais directa com Deus, três lápides recordam aos visitantes as presenças de Soror Coleta, a primeira abadessa do Mosteiro, de D. Isabel, irmã da soberana, e da própria D. Leonor.

Heinrich Isaac – Missa Paschalis I

O coro das igrejas, local onde os religiosos assistem e participam na liturgia, insere-se, de um modo geral, na capela-mor. Em certos casos, como nos conventos femininos de clausura, esteve sempre separado, com maior ou menor rigor, do mundo exterior, originando o denominado “coro alto” por se encontrar, num plano mais elevado, ao fundo da nave. A clausura, não permitindo a entrada no templo, alarga a sua função para além da vida litúrgica de contemplação e meditação a que usualmente está destinada, ou seja, à celebração da missa conventual através da presença do Tabernáculo do Santíssimo Sacramento. Porém, o Mosteiro da Madre de Deus inseriu-se no espírito que, na primeira metade de setecentos e através da redecoração e da utilização dos mesmos materiais – talha, azulejo e pintura –, presidiu a uma transformação barroca, criando um espaço de verdadeira eleição. Foram, pois, conjugados e enquadrados num preenchimento meticuloso revelador de uma grande qualidade artística e responderam ao objectivo que já não o de divulgação do dogma da Igreja mas da consolidação da edificação moral através do estímulo devoto.

Heinrich Isaac – Missa Paschalis II

O programa iconográfico, estabelecido, no Convento da Madre de Deus, sem a constante função didáctica, visava uma acção moralizadora destinada a assembleias que entendiam a mensagem das Escrituras e procuravam o caminho para a Santidade através de uma vida activa, contemplativa e, sobretudo, de penitência. Grande parte do seu quotidiano era dedicada à meditação e, segundo testemunhos das próprias enclausuradas, relatava as flagelações a que se sujeitavam, complementando-se, tudo isto, com a presença de imagens destinadas à consolidação do caminho místico até ao Criador. O facto, não muito comum, de funcionar simultaneamente como Casa do Tesouro, isto é, o local destinado a guardar as relíquias, o bem mais precioso do culto, aumentou, por um lado, a carga moral, e, por outro, engrandeceu a sua sumptuária. Os relicários, executados num qualificado trabalho de talha dourada, integram, em todo o esplendor, o vasto conjunto de restos mortais de santos e mártires, em grande parte de oferta régia, que acabaram por torná-lo famoso. No imponente tabernáculo inscrevem-se os símbolos de autoridade, de novo numa nítida estruturação hierárquica onde a expressão do poder temporal é feita através do escudo real sobreposto pelo Santíssimo Sacramento e encimado pelo Todo-Poderoso. No coroamento, tal como no altar-mor, surgem as Virtudes Teologais, Esperança e Caridade ladeando a Fé que se encontra num plano mais elevado. Junto aos altares podem ver-se os retratos de D. João III e de D. Catarina com os seus santos protectores que, segundo o cronista Frei Jerónimo de Belém, foram encomendados pelos próprios monarcas para ali serem colocados. Considerados segundos fundadores do cenóbio e representados como orantes, descobriram neste espaço um local privilegiado pela proximidade com o tabernáculo e pela evocação permanente da sua memória junto das religiosas. Estes quadros, datados de meados do século XVI e de autoria atribuída a Cristóvão de Morais, tiveram como modelo a obra de Anthonius Moro, pintor da corte espanhola que, cerca de 1551, laborou em Portugal. As janelas, em plano muito elevado, reforçam a simbologia do conjunto através de um revestimento lateral com oito painéis de azulejos, onde as heroínas bíblicas do Antigo Testamento são representadas em imagens simbólicas das qualidades da Virgem e, numa integração perfeita, redobrando o efeito decorativo e celestial, reflectem a luz solar.

Heinrich Isaac – Missa Paschalis III

As consequências da extinção das ordens religiosas em 1834 e da venda dos bens nacionais abriram, na história do Mosteiro da Madre de Deus, um novo capítulo. Com efeito, em 1869, uma equipa, coordenada pelo arquitecto e erudito José Maria Nepomuceno, apresentou um projecto para a reconversão do conjunto monástico em edifício afecto ao asilo D. Maria Pia, incluindo um plano para a instalação de um pequeno espaço museológico. A intervenção por ele iniciada e continuada por diversos técnicos do Ministério das Obras Públicas, entre os quais avultou Francisco Liberato Telles, alterou, de modo irreversível, toda a parte conventual, adaptando-a a novas funções e utilizando, nas zonas nobres, um critério de recuperação dos supostos valores originais. A atitude historicista dos técnicos e responsáveis entende-se no âmbito de uma cultura tardo-romântica que não apenas aspirava à unificação plástica do conjunto – ora eliminando descontinuidades construtivas, ora impondo ritmos sequenciais à fenestração – mas pretendia, também, repor a verdade do edifício como se sobre ele não pesassem as alterações inevitáveis de quatro séculos de história. Segundo testemunhos da época foi o portal sul desentaipado ou, mais certamente, reconstruído com base nas já referidas tábuas de Santa Auta, inventando-se na fachada, além disso, vãos de molduração neo-manuelina ao mesmo tempo que lhe era acrescentada uma platibanda bastante recortada e gárgulas fantasiadas de sabor medieval. Porém, o pormenor mais curioso daquela reforma mostra os limites da arqueologia empírica dos reconstrutores oitocentistas, pois, num dos capitéis dos colunelos do piso superior do claustrim, o canteiro, dividido talvez entre o fascínio da técnica e da velocidade e a suspensão do tempo que o espaço evoca, não se olvidou de gravar a imagem de um comboio a vapor. Em pleno século XX, sobretudo na década de 50, a arquitectura deste eclético local sofreu novas alterações com a preparação da exposição comemorativa do quinto centenário do nascimento de D. Leonor; na de 60, através da salutar iniciativa de João Miguel dos Santos Simões, estruturaram-se as primeiras salas da exposição permanente do anexo de azulejaria e cerâmica do Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga; na de 80, com a “XVII Exposição de Arte, Ciência e Cultura”, foi-lhe conferido o enquadramento paisagístico da traça do arquitecto Francisco Caldeira Cabral e a instalação definitiva e autónoma como Museu Nacional do Azulejo. Por fim, na de 90, aquando da eleição de Lisboa como “Capital Europeia da Cultura”, foram efectuados arranjos pontuais de adaptação do edifício a novas necessidades museológicas que, no entanto, não deixaram de manter e valorizar uma linha de leitura da sua história global.

The Hilliard Ensemble: In Paradisum

Dietrich Buxtehude

Dietrich Buxtehude, organista e compositor que se supõe ter nascido em 1637, representa, a par de Heinrich Schütz (1585-1672), o expoente máximo do barroco alemão no século XVII. O seu estilo influenciou inúmeros compositores, entre os quais Johann Sebastian Bach.
Morreu neste dia 9 de Maio, em 1707.

A primeira parte desta Abendmusiken – Benedicam Dominum BuxWV 113 (música nocturna) está nesta publicação.

Alessandro Scarlatti

Alessandro Scarlatti lived between the years 1660-1725, and during that time wrote in all the major forms of the day. Although he was most famous for his operas and vocal compositions, he wrote some very fine keyboard music in the later years of his life. Domenico Scarlatti’s keyboard music is more widely known, but the La Folia variations feature thirty pieces on the La Folia theme. They are elaborate and beautiful, and well worth listening to. They may have been written for one of Scarlatti’s patrons, Cardinal Ottoboni, who possessed a harpsichord with a complete bottom octave and three sets of strings.

The La Folia theme is named after a fifteenth century dance of Portugal, that later moved to Spain. “Folia” means “insane” and the dance was so named because it was accompanied by wild singing, and the dancing was done as if the dancers were out of their minds. During the late seventeenth century, composers began writing variations on the La Folia theme, which had developed over a long period of time from various sources of the dance. It was a very popular type of composition for seventeenth century guitarists as well as keyboardists, and many great composers wrote pieces of this genre. J.S. Bach, Corelli, and Vivaldi all wrote La Folia variations. The theme for Scarlatti’s La Folia variations first appeared in an “air des hautbois” of Jean Baptiste Lully.

© All Music Guide

O deus cortesão, de Velázquez

A influência de Caravaggio e Rubens na obra de Diego Velázquez (1599-1660), pela utilização do chiaroscuro e das cores primárias, está mais uma vez presente neste Los Borrachos (1628-29) – um dos expoentes da caricatura social no Barroco.
Descendente de nobres portugueses, Velázquez grangeou fama na Corte Espanhola através dos bodegones – cenas de interior com elementos de naturezas-mortas.
O seu estilo, muito próprio e inimitável, de natureza contemplativa e profundamente humanista, não fêz, porém, escola.

Los borrachos, o El triunfo de Baco, 1628 – 1629

A obra assume um especial significado na pintura espanhola, pois a embriaguês era considerada um vício desprezível, sendo borracho o maior dos insultos.
Convidar e embebedar pessoas de classe baixa dos teatros de comédia para divertimento das senhoras, era pois uma forma de entretenimento na Corte Real.
Foi neste enquadramento que Velázquez pintou Baco para Filipe IV, que o colocou no seu quarto de verão.
Este divertido Deus do Vinho, rodeado por oito bêbados com quem convive, confere-lhes uma sensação de majestade, ao coroá-los com uma hera; por isso riem para quem se ri deles: o rei.
A caricatura da censura dos nobres face aos prazer dos camponeses pelo vinho, é simultaneamente máscara e disfarce – através da visão de um deus cortesão que se diverte, de igual modo.

Missa Salisburgensis, de Biber

A Missa Salisburgensis que Heinrich Ignaz von Biber (1644-1704) escreveu para 53 vozes e instrumentos, é considerada a peça musical barroca de maior escala existente.
Concebida em 1682 para celebrar o 1200º aniversário da fundação da Arquidiocese de Salzburgo, foi  interpretada na Catedral, tendo o público sido colocado na nave central, enquanto os músicos foram divididos em oito secções à sua volta.
Terá sido, porventura, a primeira experiência de surround a nível mundial. 🙂


II. Gloria | III. Sonatae Tam Aris Quam Aulis Servientes: Sonata XII | IV. Credo |
V. Sonatae Tam Aris Quam Aulis Servientes, Sonata V | VI. Sanctus, Benedictus |
VII. Agnus Dei | VIII. Sonata Sancti Polycarpi | IX. Motet “Plaudite Tym

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi

Assinalam-se hoje os trezentos anos do nascimento de Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-1736), o qual, embora usufruísse em vida de uma popularidade apenas moderada, granjeou postumamente fama internacional como figura de destaque no repertório sacro e na ascensão da ópera cómica.
João Chambers Link do ficheiro áudio em formato Windows Media Áudio

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi – Stabat Mater: Alto: René Jacobs, Soprano: Sebastian Henning (child).
1. Duo: Stabat Mater dolorosa – 2. Aria: Cuius animan gementem – 3. Duo: O quam tristis et afflicta

Giovanni Battista Pergolesi was perhaps the first musician who reached in a very short time an international success with all kind of public. Certainly he was the first one to interest the musical environment in such a wide way, and above all the first one whose personality had been isolated from his works and idealized by the public, that wanted to create through his music an abstract and symbolic image. The celebrity achieved in five-six years of feverish activity (from 1730 to 1736, when he died at the age of 26 years) was internationally sanctioned by the so-called ‘’Querelle des buffons”, when the Encyclopaedists used his works, and in particular the Serva padrona, as a flag against the Ancien Regime official art. They underlined their spontaneity, clearness, and naturalness, that seemed to represent a demystifying return from conventions and fashion to nature. Modeste Gretry, a musician of the period, sentenced significantly: “Pergolesi was born and the truth was revealed”. After this parenthesis, a forcing interpretation of Pergolesi’s art, the combination of his pathetic intimism with preromantic and romantic attitudes, the myth, stimulated by exquisitely literary suggestions, of the “grand et malhereux” musician, pursued by fate and people because of his excellence in nature and talent, ended in removing Pergolesi from his real aesthetic dimension and transformed him in a pre-romantic symbol. As a consequence of it, aspects of his works, especially the sentimental ones, have been stressed, ignoring other but not least aspects. Considering that his works did not justify that sort of oleographic image created by the audience, an arbitrary attribution of other works related with that same fictitious image seemed natural and caused, with other reasons, the flourishing of hundreds of apocrypha, a curios phenomenon for that times. Works made by infamous musicians, speculators and even forgers, were uttered as Pergolesi’s compositions. Only during the last years musicologists made him justice reconstructing Pergolesi’s authentic corpus and rescuing his biography from the deformation of the myth.
1. Aria: Quae moerebat et dolebat – 2. Duo: Qui est homo, qui non fleter – 3. Aria: Vidit suum dulcem natum
The years in Jesi
Giovanni Battista Pergolesi was born in Jesi on January 4
th, 1710, third-born in a family from Pergola, a little village belonging to the Church, from where his ancestor Francesco, an humble shoemaker, departed in 1635 to try his fortune. The original family surname, Draghi, survived until the XVI century, when the adjective that used to follow it to indicate the place of origin – “Pergolesi” or “Della Pergola” – replaced it in a branch, to which the composer belonged. Giovanni Battista’s childhood is quite a mystery for the scholars. The title of “Donna” that precedes in the wedding act the name of his mother, Anna Vittoria Giorgi, could prove but with some doubts, her rich or even noble origins. Very probably Pergolesi’s family belonged to the humble and little provincial bourgeoisie: it is known that his father was a Sergeant in Jesi Territorial Army, administrator of Buon Gesù Confraternity properties and geometer for the town council and for the local nobility. All these occupations, however, were not enough for the family maintenance, and when Francesco Andrea died all his properties had been confiscated by creditors. Nevertheless, the opportunity of frequenting local aristocracy could offer precious support and possibilities for the future of his son.
Certainly, Pergolesi’s family was undermined by tuberculosis. Among Francesco Andrea’s four children, Giovanni Battista, that died at the age of 26 years, had been the only one to survive for such a long time: his sister Rosa died when she was two, in 1708; his brother Bartolomeo died few days after his birth, always in 1708, and the other brother, Antonio, died when he was two, in 1726. His parents died both in a very short period: his mother in 1727 and his father in 1732, after that his second wife, Donna Eleonora from Cagli, had died in childbirth, with the son Pietro, in 1730.
Some symptoms of the illness that  will burn his existence should have appeared to Pergolesi since his birth, considered that he was confirmed not at six years old, as usual, but when he was one year and half old. Maybe a poliomyelitis caused his left leg ankylosis (this physical imperfection has been cruelly underlined by Pier Leoni Ghezzi in a caricature made few years before Pergolesi’s death); it is true that phthisis inexorably sapped his physical constitution.
Without indulging in an abused sentimentalism, it is proved that the illness, the need, the incumbent sense of death, constitute the composer’s adolescence background, and in this context it can be recognized the deep existential roots of his tendency to an affected and thoughtful meditation and to a soft introversion, that constitute aspects of Pergolesi’s Art.
During the eighteenth Century Jesi was an active music centre. Even without a theatre, opera was represented every year in the Town Hall; sacred music, oratories and spiritual cantatas were performed in S. Giovanni Battista and in Confraternita della Morte churches, in the Augustinians and Dominicans’ Fathers’ ones, and in S. Anna and S. Chiara monasteries. Music education (and in particular violin practice) was widely diffused by all social classes, even the popular ones. Pergolesi started his musical studies in Jesi with local teachers: with Francesco Santi, Choirmaster in the Cathedral, he learned composition rudiments, and with Francesco Mondini he studied violin. He made fast progress in both subjects, especially violin, considered that his ability in this instrument emerged even from his lacking biographical information. Thanks to his father’s relationships and to his ability in violin, Giovanni Battista started soon a close and familiar relation with different local nobles: Giovan Battista Franciolini (that was his godfather for the baptism), Gabriele Ripanti, a music amateur that loved hosting the young musician in his palace to play with him, Pier Simone Ghislieri, and Cardolo Maria Pianetti, an enlightened and munificent intellectual. Probably, thanks to him, that was in a good relationship with the Vienna’s Court and the Austrian vice-reign in Naples, Pergolesi had been invited to improve his musical knowledge in one of the four Music Conservatories in Naples: the Conservatorio dei Poveri di Gesù Cristo. Pianetti’s help is testified since 1779 by the erudite Giuseppe Santini from the Marche, but there are no documents to prove it. A Pianetti’s epistolary systematic examination attested that the marquis helped Pergolesi’s aunt, Cecilia Giorgi, after his death, with the sharing out of his modest inheritance and with the recovering of a credit from San Bartolomeo Theatre; however his patronage role does not appear from such letters. Here it emerges that he helped – from 1732 – another young from Ancona, Giuseppe Vantaggi, to move to Naples and study at the Conservatorio della Pietà dei Turchini, but in the related correspondence there is no mention of Pergolesi. It is possible that Pergolesi had been helped by another member of Pianetti family, Carlo Maria (1640-1725), Bishop of Larino and Governor at Santa Casa of Loreto, but this hypothesis is not supported at the moment. Documents attest that several local families took care of him. For example, Giovanni Battista Franciolini, his godfather, from whom he took the name, followed carefully his education in Jesi and his career in Naples . It had been in his house where, in 1736, the notarial act concerning the musician inheritance was signed. It is also meaningful that Pergolesi, after his parents’ death, in October 1733 entrusted, another eminent local patrician, Piersimone Ghislieri, with the task of cashing his parents’ death dowry and to bring it to him in Naples. In 1734 Marquees Francesca Albicini Ripanti organized in Jesi, at her own expenses, the Pergolesi’s intermezzo
Livietta e Tracollo representations to honour his memory. Her husband, Gabriele Ripanti, is supposed to have been one of Pergolesi’s teachers of violin. It is probable that not only the Pianetti, but a group of local families, had been benefactors of the young Giovanni Battista.
1. Aria: Eja, Mater, fons amoris – 2. Duo: Fac, ut ardeat cor neum – 3. Sancta Mater, istud agas
Naples’ Musical Environment
When Pergolesi reached Naples, in 1723, the town was under the Austrian domination since about fifteen years; the Hapsburg domination would last until Borbon’s reconquest of South Italy and Sicily in 1734, when Carlo III arrived at Naples proclaiming himself King of the Two Sicilies. Pergolesi’s Neapolitan time is related with a transitional context, with a moment of deep political, social and cultural transformation of the local society. It was a period characterized by an extraordinary fervour in every fields of art and knowledge: in these years Metastasio made his debut on Neapolitan stages, Pietro Giannone wrote the Istoria civile del regno di Napoli, and Giovan Battista Vico finalized his La scienza nuova. Naples became the main Italian and European centre of music’s production and exportation.
Not by chance Charles de Brosse, who visited Naples in 1739, affirmed emphatically that Naples was the real capital of music in the world. San Bartolomeo Theatre was the musical official centre, directly related with the court and seat of the most aristocratic and socially important genre: opera seria. Through the two annual seasons, one during Carnival time and the other at the end of Summer, creations of the most eminent contemporary composers appeared on the stage with sumptusous set and with the best soloists available on the very active (and even at that time too expensive) European market.
Public paid great attention to changes in taste and fashion, both in creative and interpretative sides: as soon as a voice or a score revealed a flaw, or sounded old, were immediately taken out of circulation. “Music taste changes at least every ten years”, attested astonished President De Brosses, and certainly he was not exaggerating, considering that a real feverish need of novelty pervaded Neapolitan musicians.
On San Bartolomeo theatre’s stage, eminent Neapolitan musicians, as Alessandro Scarlatti, Francesco Mancini, Domenico Sarro, Francesco Feo and Nicolò Porpora, presented their works at the beginning of the XVIII Century; composers with Venetian and Roman education, as Tommaso Albinoni and Francesco Gasparini, and even Handel, had been there hosted too. Their creations however could not bore comparison with the new generation’s ones, the Vinci’, Leo’, Hasse’s operas, that probably inspired directly Pergolesi. A composer who received a contract by San Bartolomeo Theatre represented for the Neapolitan public the best and above all the newest artist Italian musical context could offer: his works would had been interpreted by the best soloists on circulation and would had been represented with the most sumptuous sets. There are proofs that during the 1730/1740 decades it was in a difficult economical situation that neverthless could not reduce Neapolitan society competitiveness in representing the best operas on its stages. Considering that Pergolesi presented here his first melodrama, La Salustia , in 1732, when he was only 22, it is easy to imagine how much attention he attired and how much supports should have received once concluded his studies at the Conservatorio dei Poveri di Gesù Cristo.
In Naples, besides the San Bartolomeo Theatre (that would have been demolished after Pergolesi’s death to be substituted with the San Carlo Theatre, inaugurated in 1737 as the new sovereign Carlo III of Borboni’s symbol of splendour and magnificence), there were different minor theatres, patronized principally, but not exclusively, by the bourgeoisie and popular classes. In these theatres, since about twenty years, new expressions and stiles were shaped, stimulated by a sensibility no more tied to the official and pompous character of the court. The old Teatro dei Fiorentini – originally created for drama, and where since the beginning of the XVIII Century musical comedy in Neapolitan developed itself – and two others little new theatres, Teatro della Pace (quite modest) and the very beautiful Teatro Nuovo on Montecalvario, built for the new theatrical genre and both inaugurated in 1724, belonged to this category. Musical comedy, generated by a literary reform of libretto that forsook verbal formalisms and baroque music’s solemn setting in favour of a closeness to themes, atmospheres, characters, of everyday life, ennobled itself little by little becoming the real “bourgeois” counterpart to melodrama. Parallely with this formal ennobling, advantaged by a group of genial librettists and musicians, as Alessandro Scarlatti, Leonardo Leo, Leonardo Vinci, Giuseppe de Majo, the ability of the soloists and the level and competence of the public were increasing. When Pergolesi appeared on Neapolitan musical scene, aristocracy willingly protected and funded musical comedy, in the same way the court did for the pompous musical drama represented in San Bartolomeo. Aristocracy and bourgeoisie supported also a series of private musical manifestations: musicians from Neapolitan Conservatoires played serenades, cantatas, original works, different instrumental and vocal compositions for academies, salons, parties and concerts. The circulation of music was favoured by a state of mind, diffuse in that time, artistically open to new ideals of naturalness, moderation, and to Arcadia’s graceful sociality, and sensitive, with its intellectual aim and civic relationship, to a new Enlightened spirit, that postulated a new society with a modern and more efficient structure, no more based on privileges and authoritarianism. All Neapolitan Churches resounded with instruments and voices: the Real Chapel, directed by the same court and including the best composers and soloists of the town, had as own mission to prepare decorative and circumstantial sacred music that constituted the obligatory background for every official and solemn event. Close to the Real Chapel, there were the Cathedral Chapel, the Chapel of San Gennaro’s Treasure and several musical institutions related with major religion orders’ (Teatrini, Gesuiti, Oratoriani) parishes and convents: here genres as oratorio and sacred drama for music, characterized by a conjunction of devotional and traditional elements with popular aspects, were supported.
1. Aria: Fac ut portem Christi mortem – 2. Duo: Inflammatus et accensus – 3. Duo: Quando corpis moriteur – 4. Duo: Amen.
The Conservatory years
Once arrived at Naples Pergolesi found that plurality in the different levels was a characteristic of the musical Neapolitan culture: aspects of the folkloric Southern traditions introduced by the huge number of emigrants from the country, recent aspects derived from their cultivated translations made by musicians from the town, and so on to more erudite and solemn expressions created by professional musicians in a sacred or secular context, coexisted and intersected without efforts. The same variety can be found also inside the theatrical tradition, especially in comic opera, where a substratum related to popular festivities and to tumbler and comic’s recitation can be still recognized in the intermezzo and musical comedy in Neapolitan dialect. Conservatories were a meeting point for these different cultural layers, and it is representative the fact that pupils were ‘’utilised’’ in a big variety of social contexts: from church services to processions, from patronal festivities to civil celebrations, from street to churches, bourgeois houses, aristocratic salons, theatres. It is not surprising that Pergolesi soon assimilated that variety of languages (in the same way he learned Neapolitan dialect perfectly) and benefited of it in his works.
Pergolesi started studying at the Conservatorio dei Poveri di Gesù Cristo in 1723. It was the only institute (between the four Neapolitan Conservatories) under the ecclesiastic authority. Atmosphere there was extremely rich of stimulus and suggestions, but life should be really hard due to the rigid schedule and to the kind and quality of work students had to do to ensure their instruction and maintenance. Probably Pergolesi paid an admission tax, but not an annual fee, because registers proved his remarkable activity for the institution, at the beginning as cantor and then as violinist. In 1729 Pergolesi was called “capoparanza”, that means director of a group of six, twelve or even more students, that used to sing in different hosting places. He studied violin with Domenico De Matteis, composition until 1728 with the old Gaetano Greco and from 1728 with the erudite and brilliant Francesco Durante. The few months spent with Leonardo Vinci, master in Neapolitan comic opera and very sensitive to the new Metastasian poetry, had been decisive for his future.
Pergolesi spent about seven years at the Conservatory, until 1731. In this year, a sacred drama in three acts,
Li prodigi della Divina Grazia nella conversione e morte di S. Guglielmo duca d’Aquitania, was represented in S. Agnello Maggiore Monastery Cloister. It was a traditional opera, a sort of final composition text, to demonstrate students’ acquired technical and stylistic maturity. From its structure, exemple of a genre that found his roots in Baroque tradition, a Neapolitan character emerges: Capitan Cuosemo, who expresses himself in a dense dialect, a lively gesticulation and a very comic repertoire, creating a background for the main serious and devotional action. This is the first Pergolesi’s approach to comic opera. Pergolesi’s style, that the composer will refine with a popular characters’ delineation, appears here in an extremely dense and sanguine dimension, that reflects the picturesque and plebeian reality of Naples’ alleys and squares that has deeply impressed his imagination. Probably it belongs to this period a circumstantial motet, found and titled In hac diem tam decora. A very different style characterizes another sacred composition that tradition erroneously attribute to Pergolesi’s debut: La Fenice sul rogo, ovvero La morte di San Giuseppe oratorio, probably performed in Filippinis’ oratory, a place close to Pergolesi since his Conservatory’s years. Here, in an extremely refined context, enriched by the use of unusual instruments, as traversal flute, “English way” viola, and archlute, used in a concert version, Pergolesi reveals his idea of religion as an extreme humanization of the sacred, as a subtle psychological introspection of religious experience: that sort of behaviour, once refined and transfigured, can be recognized even in his last compositions Salve Regina and Stabat Mater. From a stylistic point of view, these compositions prove Pergolesi’s close adherence to the most progressive Neapolitan music tendencies and his great interest for musical theatre: Pergolesi’s models are Vinci’s, Leo’s, Hasse’s, De Majo’s drama and comic opera scores that were an hit on contemporary stages. All these demanding works marked the birth of a new and great composer.
Giovanni Battista Pergolesi – Stabat Mater (Manuscrit des Menus Plaisirs du Roy)
Les Pages & Les Chantres de la Chappele – Le Poème Harmonique.
Patrizia Bovi (Soprano), Pino de Vittorio (Tenor), Bernard Arrieta (Basse).Dir. Olivier Schneebeli.
1. Sancta Mater – 2. Fac ut portem Christi mortem

1. Inflammatus et accensus – 2. Quando corpus morietur.
The artistic career
Thanks to the success of these first works (in association with a strong protection in official circles), in 1731, the main Neapolitan theatre, the San Bartolomeo, commissioned from Pergolesi a new opera seria. An old Apostolo Zeno’s work, theAlessandro Severo, represented in Venice in 1716, was chosen as libretto and rielaborated with the new title of Salustia. Pergolesi’s debut on stage could not be more laborious: the old evirated Nicola Grimaldi, the star of the cast, died during the rehearsals and Pergolesi had to re-write all the protagonist’s arias for a new interpreter, the Roman castrato Gioacchino Conti. Pergolesi’s haste and anguish emerge from the fact that he had no time to set to music the comic intermezzo, that did not reach our time. The production had been represented only during the second half of January 1732, apparently with a meagre success. But Pergolesi’s fame should be also solid considering that in September he staged at the “Teatro dei Fiorentini” his first opera buffa “Lo frate “nnamorato” based on a libretto by G. B. Federico, who would become his favourite librettist, in September he staged at the Teatro dei Fiorentini his first musical comedy, Lo frate ‘nnamorato, based on a libretto by Gennarantonio Federico. The success of the opera is proved by its revival (in a new version, slightly modified) in 1748, twelve years after the composer’s death. A contemporary document shows that during all these years its arias had been sung throughout all Neapolitan streets.
Pergolesi’s artistic and social ascent is proved by other two facts, both happened in 1748: firstly he was employed by Prince Ferdinando Colonna of Stigliano, that owned a significant position at the vice-royal court; secondly Neapolitan Municipality assigned him a mass and vesper composition in S. Emidio’s honour, under whose protection the town had been set after many disastrous earthquake. In only two years of activity, Pergolesi ventured on the main musical genres: drama, comic opera, and religious music. In November 1732 he entered as extra organist in the Royal Chapel: the note attesting his recommendation (recently found by Francesco Cotticelli and Paologiovanni Maione in Naples State Archive) referred to the Neapolitan musical environment “great expectation” concerning his career, to the “universal applause” that welcomed Lo frate ‘nnamorato, and, above all, to the “Royal Chapel need of people composing according to modern taste”. The great esteem enjoyed by Pergolesi is proved by the commission, for the following season, of a new opera seria: Il prigionier superbo (another revision of Francesco Silvani’s libretto). The opera was staged on August 28th, 1733, and received a gratifying success thanks to its intermezzo La serva padrona, again on Gennarantonio Federico’s libretto. Pergolesi’s appointment, in February 1734, as Vice Chapel Master, made by the “Fedelissima Città di Napoli”, with the right of succeeding the old and famous D. Sarro, represents the Neapolitan society’s maximum approval toward  the musician. Meanwhile great changes upset the Reign of Naples: on May 10th, 1734, Carlo of Borbone, after a very quick war, made his entrance in Naples and on May 16th was crowned as a King; Austrians had to retreat to Southern Italy and Sicily. Almost all Neapolitan nobility, especially the one closest to the Asburgo family, retreated to the neutral Rome, waiting the end of the war. Among the most reluctants to accept this new politic situation can be found the Prince of Stigliano, together with other Pergolesi’s benefactors, as Duke Caracciolo of Avellino (who even retired to Vienna) and Duke Marzio IV Maddaloni Carafa, who invited, with his wife Anna Colonna, our composer in Rome in May 1734. On this occasion, the famous caricaturist Pierleone Ghezzi, very curious about the young Neapolitan Master of Chapel, sketched the only authentic Pergolesi’s representation that reached our time: at first he painted from life only his face and then by heart (in a second drawing) he added the whole figure. These portraits show a stocky young man, with strong and vaguely negroid features; the figure shows a stiffed left leg typical of poliomyelitis victims: this is something very far from all the idealized images of Pergolesi accumulated since the XVIII Century.
Pergolesi conducted in S. Lorenzo Church of Lucina (the seat of the Cappella Nazionale Boema) his Mass in F major (a rielaboration of the previous mass for S. Emidio) in a splendid performance for orchestra during S. Johann Nepomuk’s (Boemis’a protector) celebrations: a declaration of faithfulness from the Maddaloni family towards the Austrian Empire. Although this successful Roman performance determined Pergolesi’s first artistic affirmation outside Neapolitan borders, it also represented a fatal rift for his relationship with the new Bourbon government. His benefactors, the Duke of Maddaloni (who employed him) and the Prince of Stigliano, were both soon elected Chamber Lord by Carlo III, while Prince Caracciolo, after announcing from Vienna that he was “excited at the idea of coming back”, arrived on January 4th 1735, on time to welcome in Avellino “in a very royal way” Carlo III moving to conquer Sicily. It was easy for these great nobles to get out of this difficult situation, but Pergolesi’s performance in honour of the Habsburg was not excused and considered as a subversive action. Very probably the confused and obscure mentions dating back to the late XVIII and XIX Century about persecution against Pergolesi are to be considered as a disproportionate amplification of this event. On October 25th, 1734, a Pergolesi’sopera seria, Adriano in Siria, based on a Metastasian libretto, with Livietta e Tracollo as intermezzo, was represented for the first time at the “official” Theatre of Naples, the San Bartolomeo. The opera did not receive a great success in spite of the presence in the cast of a such eminent soloist as Gaetano Caffarelli; a suggestion of the court, for the following season, preferred a Spanish young composer, Davide Perez, rather than Pergolesi. New recent documents attest how much Pergolesi’s relationship with philo-Austrian nobility had a negative influence on his career: San Bartolomeo Theatre’s impresario, Angelo Casarale, refused to pay to Pergolesi the reward for Adriano in Siria’s composition, saying as excuse that his benefactors, the Duke of Maddaloni and the Duke Caracciolo of Avellino, did not pay him the box rent during all their absence for the war; a real pretext that seems to hide a clear political motivation.
Therefore Pergolesi came back to Rome: at the beginning of January, 1735, theOlimpiade, his last opera seria, based again on a libretto by Metastasio, was staged at the Tordinova Theatre. Few contemporary reports attest an unfavourable reception of the opera, penalized by a poor setting and by the temporary closure of the theatres, as a consequence of Princess Maria Clementina Sobieski Stuart’s death.
Returned to Naples, Pergolesi’s health suffered a sudden worsening and probably already in summer 1735 the Duke of Maddaloni invited him to Pozzuoli to find relief from the tuberculosis that was mining his body. Nonetheless he continued composing and in fall 1735 the Flaminio, a new music comedy, again with a libretto by Gennarantonio Federico, was staged at the Teatro dei Fiorentini. The opera had a great success considering its several representations, even out of Naples. In those months Pergolesi started the composition of a serenade commissioned by the young Prince Raimondo of S. Severo for his wedding with Carlotta Gaetani Dell’Aquila D’Aragona, planned on December 1st 1735, in Torremaggiore, next to Foggia. From its libretto (music has been lost) it appears clear that Pergolesi, because of his illness, could set to music only the first part. The last months of Pergolesi’s life are quite a mystery: he spent his time perhaps in Pozzuoli, at the Cappuccini Convent, a religious institution under Maddaloni’s protection, where he probably composed his four chamber cantatas – edited immediately after his death, the Salve Regina in C minor and the Stabat Mater. This last work had been probably commissioned by the archi-confraternity of the Vergine dei Dolori, the seat of which was the Church of S. Luigi in the Palace of Padre Minimi, as substitution of Alessandro Scarlatti’s analogous piece. He probably finished Stabat’s composition in his lasts days of life and entrusted the manuscript to the friend Francesco Feo.
Pergolesi died on March 17th, 1736, of  “tabe ettica”, that is tuberculosis, and was buried in Pozzuoli’s Cathedral common grave. The poor musician’s possession were sold to pay the burial, funeral masses and other debts. His maternal aunt, Cecilia Giorgi, who had moved from Jesi to Naples few years before to nurse the young musician, inherited the rest of his goods, not without a dispute with another relative, the priest Giuseppe Maria Pergolesi, Giovanni Battista’s fatherly uncle. The contest ended – as explained – thanks to the good offices of Cardolo Maria Pianetti, a noble from Jesi.
Although Pergolesi, contrarily to what was affirmed by almost his biographers, received abundant acknowledgment of his genius from his contemporaries, his fame was basically restricted to Rome and Naples. After his death, the whole of Europe began to interest with increasing curiosity and enthusiasm in his compositions. In 1736 four Pergolesi’s cantatas were edited in Naples (among these one was commissioned by Maria Barbara of Braganza, Domenico Scarlatti’s patron); in 1738 a new edition was made, a singular thing considered that it was the only cantatas edition to be realized in Naples at the beginning of the XVIII Century. Lo frate ’nnamorato, Olimpiade and Flaminio had been represented many times, but but above all his intermezzos “La Serva Padrona” and “Livietta e Tracollo” obtained the greatest success with hundreds of representations in all secluded corners of Europe. Among his religious music the Salve Regina in C minor and the Stabat Mater imposed themselves to the general attention, thanks also to a conspicuous number of performances in all greatest European musical centres, both in the original edition and in adaptation to other texts ant to other kind of revisions. At the beginning of the decade 1740-50 Johann Sebastian Bach already edited a transcription of Stabat Mater suited for a German paraphrase of the Miserere. Also the rest of his religious music, the two masses and the psalms, were religiously copied in dozens of manuscripts, both to be performed and collected as precious specimens. At the half of the XVIII Century, Pergolesi was already considered a myth that would soon became a legend, also because the new emphasis given to his genial and creative personality, the passionate interest to his human vicissitudes, ran into an almost absolute lack of documents and direct testimonies. Pergolesi’s life burned in five-six years of feverish activity, in a social context that looked at him with interest and respect, but that nonetheless considered him as related to a craft field. In this context an extraordinary creative activity was giving birth to great artistic personalities, that, beginning from Pergolesi’s epoch, spread Italian music in all greatest European centres. Only a fragmentary remembrance of Pergolesi’s life remained in all who could attend the meteor of his existence and his extraordinary artistic career; with such memories, often misunderstood and deformed by writers beyond the Alps, his first biographies had been distorted and romanticized during the XIX century. His works, principally committed to a manuscript tradition, lacked in definition, as lots of his compositions had been forgotten (only Stabat Mater and La serva padronaconstantly remained in repertoire) and a big amount of apocrypha had been uttered. Only recently an impressive international research restored the real Pergolesi’s importance and his authentic image appears deeper and more fascinating than the one-dimensional and fossilized traditional one. His music does not testify only an extremely refined and complex creative personality, but restores a whole epoch and society observed and interpreted, as it were, from all points of view: the plebeian gestural expressiveness and the tumbler’s grimace as well as the tender bourgeois sentimentality of the musical comedy; the magnificent and aristocratic melancholy of late baroque and Metastasian music drama, entrusted to famous evirates’ brilliant technical ability and unbridled imagination; the intermezzo characters’ wild vitality and subtle psychological skirmish; the sacred compositions’ solemnity and impressiveness; the chamber sacred music’s pathetic intimism where the sacred is regarded as source of emotional experience and the divinity reveals itself through the tension and fullness of feelings; the instrumental music’s sharply rhythmic dynamism and the chamber cantatas’ stylistic devices.
Pergolesi is all these things and even more: the investigation of his music still reveals the magic kaleidoscope of an extraordinary imagination and analysis and synthesis’s ability.
As for his life, his human and psychological dimension, Pergolesi, elusive, still hides, behind his creations, as the mocking and melancholy Pulcinella in the genial ballet that Igor Stravinskij dedicated to the musician.
by Francesco Degrada
Anúncios
%d bloggers like this: